Tuesday, February 18, 2014

2014: Blogging, Facebook & Vintage Radios.

I can't believe that its been nearly seven years since I last wrote anything here! I blame Facebook, Smartphones, Twitter and all the other things which seem to be spoiling the art of communication.

So why start blogging again now? Previously my blog was a bit of fun, a place for a bit of a rant and a few insights into my life that I chose to share; basically all the stuff I do on Facebook now. However, from today I'm going to start putting what I hope will be worthwhile content into this blog.

About a year ago I started restoring vintage radios, and I occasionally put  photos of them on Facebook.  These were mainly 'before and after' pictures and I was surprised by just how may of my friends took an interest, and even made suggestions on which model of radio I should do next. I've now successfully brought six old and unloved radios back to life, and over the months I've found it to be a very relaxing and satisfying hobby, therapeutic even. Its been difficult at times, and this brings me to my main reason for re-activating this blog.

Although I'm a qualified electronics engineer, much of my knowledge & experience wasn't relevant to 50+ year old  valve (tube) technology. I had learned about this stuff, but that was way back in my basic training over 30 years ago. Undeterred, I found information and help from many sources, including old books from second hand shops, internet forums and several really good websites. I now want to share some of this knowledge and the experience I have gained with others on the web.

I've had some really pleasing results, I've had a few things that haven't gone as well as I had hoped, and I've also made a few mistakes along the way. I've found a few sources of vintage components, loads of useful information and some helpful tips, some learned from others and some learned myself the hard way. I'm hoping that if I start to put some of it on here, it might be helpful to others as well.

Keep listening reading!




No comments: