Sunday, July 12, 2015

Bush VHF81

It wasn't quite as quick a job as I expected, but as it has turned out it was well worth the effort.

As well as 'that' capacitor I replaced all the waxies and the only Hunts cap I could find, and just to be safe I also replaced the 5uF electrolytic in the FM ratio detector stage. I've found that doing this is much quicker than trying to find  faults later.

I also cleaned the diffuser and touched up a couple of damaged areas on the tuning scale with black paint. The scale lamps are both blown, and firmly stuck into the rubber moulded lamp holders. I had heard that this is often a problem with these sets, but I'll sort it out later.

The knobs spent an hour in a solution of biological washing liquid and hot water, which gets years of muck and dirt out of the grooves easily.

Finally I painstakingly de-soldered the wires to all three electrolytics in the can and applied the reformer to each in turn. None had excessive leakage, so there was no need to change it after all.



It's now sitting on the bench playing BBC Radio 2, and it sounds really nice. The only problem is that the tuning scale is working back to front, but investigation into that also will have to wait for another day.

Another success I think. Thanks again to Brian for donating the set.

Keep listening!

No comments: