Sunday, July 12, 2015

The list is getting longer

The 'to do' list of radios awaiting attention is getting longer, and the associated pile of radios has overflowed the workshop bench and on to the floor. As usually happens in the summer, family and social life tend to take whatever spare time the full time job ( the one that pays the bills) leaves me.

The list included a Bush VHF81, a Wartime Civilian Receiver with interesting WD numbers and of course the lovely Pye MM I mentioned in my last blog post.

I wasn't looking for another project at the moment, but this time a radio found me. Well sort of... I visited a colleague who knows of my interest in vintage radio and he very kindly offered me a Bush VHF 81, which I of course I gratefully accepted.

Released in 1964, the VHF81 was the last valve model that Bush made, at a time when most domestic radio production had already changed to transistors. It was based on an earlier chassis, but built into a wooden case instead of its the plastic case of its predecessor. It's not a particularly good looking set, but I've heard good accounts of both its receiver sensitivity and audio quality on VHF.

I was told that the set was working, so assuming that it would be a quick job, I managed to find a bit of workshop time this weekend. So far I've changed the important grid coupling capacitor (aka 'that capacitor') in the output stage and removed loads of dust from the cabinet.

I was told that the smoothing capacitor might need replacing, so the next job will be to get the capacitor reformer out. If it turns out to be duff I might be able to rob the other set for spares, as the capacitor can is smaller than anything I have in stock.

I'll put some pictures up when I get a chance.

Keep listening!

No comments: