Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Workshop closed for Christmas

December is almost over and I'm keen to make a start on restoring the R1155L receiver, but family duties have to come first and I'll have to wait a few days more until I get home.

Over the last few weeks I've been finishing off other small projects to make space in the workshop, and collecting bits that I will need for the 1155. I've managed to find a couple of 8 pole Jones plugs to replace those hacked by a previous owner, although the mating free sockets are proving more difficult to find.

An original Air Ministry wooden box of valves was a worthwhile addition to the spares collection. I did think that I might have paid too much in the online auction, until I realised that it included a rare VR102. This is one of three valves forming the DF circuit, which many Ham Radio users removed to reduce the heater current.  As I'm intending to restore the receiver into its original configuration, finding a (hopefully serviceable!) VR102 was a big step towards this.

I'll also have to build a power supply. Eventually this will include an audio amplifier, but this can wait until the receiver is finished. Until then I'll make do with a simple version assembled from bits I already have, I just need to find a full wave rectifier valve with a 5V heater.

No comments: