Monday, March 24, 2014

Wartime Civilian Receiver - Part 5: Finishing touches

With the set working again, the final part of the restoration entailed making replicas of the top panel and rear panel labels, and sticking these onto the cabinet.

Top label in place

The design for the top panel label was available on the web; all I had to do was download the image and print it full size. I did consider using the water-slide transfer paper for this, but I finally decided to use a colour laser printer and ordinary paper.  After sticking it in place I gave the label a couple of coats of spray lacquer to protect it.

Th rear panel label required a bit more effort. Once again a scanned image was available on the internet, but it required a lot of cleaning up with Paintshop to remove odd marks and artifacts. After cleaning up the image I tried to give it an aged look. I wasn't completely happy with the colour though, as on the computer it looked more like somebody had spilled tea on it!

Rear label, cleaned up (click to enlarge)

With the label glued in place and the rear panel re-fitted, the colour doesn't look too bad really.

Rear view, with vintage Bakelite plug fitted

It would have been nice to have repaired the original speaker, or at least fitted a replacement of similar age. For now though I will enjoy it as it is, and perhaps another speaker will turn up at some time in the future.

Since completing the restoration I have determined that my WCR was probably built by Murphy Radio, which means that it would originally have been identified with the code 'U7' somewhere on the rear of the chassis.

Blogging my restoration of this wonderful old set has turned out to be a bigger task than I had originally planned, but I hope that the information in all five parts will have been of interest, and perhaps even useful to anybody who wants get one of these sets working again.

Keep listening!

No comments: