Friday, April 11, 2014

Fixing Woodworm Holes

I mentioned in an earlier post that my Bush SUG91 cabinet had suffered from woodworm sometime in its history.

During restoration of the cabinet I realised that if I filled the holes with wood filler, the filler would be a different colour than the surrounding wood after I had applied wood stain.  I believe that some types of filler will take a stain, but not any of the ones that I had in my workshop.

My wife came up with a brilliant idea; dip a cocktail stick into PVA glue, she said, and poke the stick into the wormhole. Once the glue dries, cut off  the stick close to the surface of the wood, and sand down whatever remains standing proud.

Brilliant idea! It worked really well, and after applying the stain the repairs are almost invisible.

Keep listening!

No comments: