Sunday, April 13, 2014

Not quite as I hoped...

I had hoped to get the Bush SUG91 completed this weekend, but unfortunately I found a fault that had not been picked up during the restoration.

On powering it up for the first time (via an isolating transformer, because in this set mains neutral is connected to chassis) I was greeted by a nice bright pilot lamp, but no glowing valve heaters. All the valve heaters are wired in series, and as expected one was open circuit;  unfortunately it was the  CL33 output pentode, which I don't have in stock.

I managed to get one from the usual internet auction site, so hopefully in a few days I will be able to get it working.

I did manage to finish the cabinet though, and I'm very pleased with how it looks.




I've deliberately left a few blemishes and imperfections, as I wanted it to look used but cared for, rather than brand new.  I was thinking of selling this one when it was finished, but now I like it so much that I might keep it.

Details of the electronic restoration will follow, so come back later if you want to know what it took to get this one working again.

Keep listening!

No comments: