Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Another Bush radio

I picked up a Bush SUG91 radio for £10 in December, and its been sitting in my workshop ever since. I believe that this type of floor standing sets were known as 'console' sets. It's a big old beast, but with its 10" speaker and large cabinet I'm hoping it will sound good.

This is the first set in my collection that I have been able to date exactly; a quality control label inside shows that it passed its final test on 27th January 1947.  

The chassis looks very similar to a Bush DAC90, but with the addition of shortwave and a gram input. The SUG91 is an AC only set, but with an auto-transformer instead of a proper double wound transformer. I'm not sure why this was, as the cost saving must have been very small.  (There was also an AC/DC version called the DUG91 which used a dropper resistor)

As with AC/DC sets though, the mains neutral is connected to chassis, so it will need the usual safety precautions taking. There is plenty of space in the cabinet, so I might fit an isolating transformer inside if I can find something suitable.

Bush SUG91 radio

I can't find the photo that I took before starting work, so this is one of a similar set from the internet. The cabinet was in pretty good condition, but there were a few woodworm holes in one side, and an area of damaged veneer on the top left front edge. I don't think there were any live woodworm left, but just to be safe I gave it a good soaking with woodworm killer, wrapped it in a plastic bin liner and left it in the garage for a few days before bringing it into the house.

The chassis came out a few weeks ago. since then it's been cleaned, re-capped and had some wiring replaced. Over the last few days I have stripped down the cabinet, removing the speaker baffle, control panel and the decorative trim round the tuning scale; these all came out easily after removing screws.

Removing the damaged veneer was easier than I expected, but getting the old lacquer or varnish off has been a bit of a problem. I think I'll leave that story for another day.

Keep listening!

No comments: