Friday, November 28, 2014

Even more radios!

A few weeks ago I decided to pick up a few more sets as 'winter projects'.  I now have a couple more than I originally intended, and the workshop is now overflowing.


National HRO HF receivers

The latest acquisition (the black one in the picture above)  is a National HRO MX, a classic HF receiver that was used extensively in World War Two. The design originates from the 1930s; I haven't had chance to do much research on this particular one, but I think it was probably built around 1942 onwards.

There were tens of thousands of these in use by British forces during the war and for some time afterwards. As a result they are not particularly rare, but finding one that is complete and unmodified can be difficult. This one is complete apart from its power supply, which was a separate unit.

The blue radio is also an HRO that I bought in 2013, but so far I've not been able to find out much about it. The person who restored it assured me that the colour was the same as the original, or as close as he could get.  It might be a variant known as the RAS which was used by the navy, but that tale will have to wait for another day.

I'm looking forward to starting work on the HRO-MX after Christmas, by which time there should be sufficient space in the workshop again.

Keep listening!


No comments: