Thursday, November 06, 2014

New Arrivals

With the arrival of cold weather and dark nights my thoughts have turned to getting some radio projects organised for the winter months. Two more sets have now joined the the GEC BC5645 in the 'to do' list.

This Bush VHF81 arrived last week. It dates from the latter half of the 1960s, which makes it one of the last valve sets to be made in Great Britain. As the name suggest, this one includes VHF FM in addition to the usual MW and LW bands.

I haven't got round to taking any photos yet, so this picture is from the listing on the auction site.

Bush VHF81

I hadn't planned to acquire any more radios at the moment, but I couldn't resist going for an Ivory coloured DAC90A that nobody else was bidding on. I've fancied one of these for a while now, but being less common than the brown ones (which aren't rare at all!) they usually fetch a much higher price.

I was delighted to win it for the starting bid of £30, which is less than the profit I made in selling a brown one recently. It's supposed to be working, but will still need the usual electronic restoration and safety modifications.

It hasn't arrived yet, so this picture is also from the listing on the auction site.

DAC90a
Three sets in the workshop should provide enough work to keep my evenings busy for a few weeks.  I just need to buy in some components before starting with the GEC set.

More updates will follow soon so...

Keep listening!


No comments: