Thursday, January 29, 2015

HRO MX update 4

The HRO powered up and made noises on the first attempt, but I couldn't actually tune in any stations with the 180-400 KHz coil pack installed. However with the 0.9-2.0 MHz coil pack installed (the only other one I have at present) it was a different story! 



It's currently sat on the bench playing Smooth Radio on 1332kHz, and a quick tune around found a few European stations as well. I'm well pleased! 

I hadn't planned an external restoration, but it will get a thorough clean and tidy. The worst of the chips and scratches will probably get filled with black paint.

My next task will be to get some coil packs for other frequency bands. AM broadcast stations are ok to prove the basic operation, but I want to see how it copes with CW and SSB signals on the amateur bands.

Keep listening!

No comments: